Imagine Golden Lane and Community Cafe next Saturday at Under Crescent House

April 27, 2024 from 2pm to 4pm
Saturday
Paul Lincoln posted an event

Imagine Golden Lane and Community Cafe next Saturday at Under Crescent House

April 27, 2024 from 2pm to 4pm
Saturday

Facebook

There are four Golden Lane Estate related facebook accounts and you can follow them here: goldenlaneEC1 

Golden Lane Estate / RCS site 

Save Bernard Morgan House

City of London

I see that posters are being put up by the City of London, showing a Great Dane, and asking residents below if they want cats and/or dogs on the Estate?  This is along with their survey, again showing the massive hound!  One look at him, and I guess many people will be 'freaked out', but I suppose that's what the COL are hoping.  After all, when has anyone ever seen a Great Dane living in a flat?  Could they not have used a picture of a small dog instead, which is more realistic to our surroundings, not that they needed a picture of any dog, as we all know what one looks like. 

Maybe, for maximum 'effect' at putting people off dogs, the COL should have used an Irish Setter, or going one even better than that, the 'Hound of the Baskervilles'!! 

Views: 1286

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So would it be possible (under whatever new rules might be agreed) for me to have a Vietnamese Pot Bellied Pig? Would it be possible to have a crocodile? If I decided to have a dog, could I have a couple of Pit Bulls or a Japanese Fighting Dog? If whatever dog I chose got bigger than the agreed size would I have to get rid of it?  The list goes on.

Being brought up with Black Labradors I'm actually a dog lover and indeed donate on a monthly basis to both Guide Dogs for the Blind and The Labrador Rescue Trust. But dogs (in particular) and inner city living really don't go together.

Re Maria Elizabeths particular question, I think that some people would bend the rules to suit themselves.

Where have crocodiles or pot bellied pigs come into the debate?  The survey is clearly asking about cats and dogs.  Where would you keep your croc?  In the bath?  Obviously, there have to be limitations and no one is saying otherwise.  That's why a sensible debate is appropriate. 

I applaud the fact that you donate to such worthy causes.  I am a member of the Dogs Trust, and IFAW, who are involved in caring for elephants and whales etc, but that does not mean I would want one in my flat, for obvious reasons.  It is untrue to say that dogs and inner city living don't go together.  It all depends on the type of dog.  Clearly, the Great Dane, as shown in the Pets Survey, would not be a prime example of city dog, which makes one wonder why the COL used it!!! 

I have a little Yorkie, for my needs, which is an example of an ideal dog for a flat.  As for my question, am not sure what you are trying to say.  I asked you about guide dogs, as an example, but your response was about 'some people bending the rules to suit themselves'!  Could you clarify what you mean, and were you referring to those needing guide dogs? 

Are you also aware of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995, which was replaced by the Equality Act 2010, which also covers the responsibility of authorities to 'make reasonable adjustments' for people with disabilities? 

Nick Lee said:

So would it be possible (under whatever new rules might be agreed) for me to have a Vietnamese Pot Bellied Pig? Would it be possible to have a crocodile? If I decided to have a dog, could I have a couple of Pit Bulls or a Japanese Fighting Dog? If whatever dog I chose got bigger than the agreed size would I have to get rid of it?  The list goes on.

Being brought up with Black Labradors I'm actually a dog lover and indeed donate on a monthly basis to both Guide Dogs for the Blind and The Labrador Rescue Trust. But dogs (in particular) and inner city living really don't go together.

Re Maria Elizabeths particular question, I think that some people would bend the rules to suit themselves.

What's a 'reasonable adjustment'? Could I not make a case - in certain circumstances  re the Acts mentioned of which I'm not familiar - to have, say a pot bellied pig (which are very clean and don't make much noise)  if you're allowed to have a dog? I might, though, be bending the rules to suit myself.

Supposing though that I was turned down for the said pig and decided to get a pit bull? Would this be acceptable, or would there be a list of approved breeds - one that I assume would include Yorkshire terriers although I've always found them to be on the yappy side.

Out of curiosity, when your dog has a dump, what do you do with the poo? A strange question you might say, but children do play around the area and there are all sorts of things that they can catch including one disease that results in blindness (the name alas escapes me).

Nick, a 'reasonable adjustment' is that laid down in the Equality Act, which might be helpful for you to check it out.  Basically, it means that a local authority can not discriminate anyone on the grounds of age, race, disability etc, and where this 'adjustment' comes into it concerns the duty of the authority to make such allowances in order for the disabled person's 'needs' to be met where 'reasonable' to do so.  As for the case of a pot bellied pig, that would never be allowed, because, obviously a flat would not be a suitable place for a pig, and animal welfare has to be addressed too.  If you oppose dogs in the City, why would you want a pig?  As for the Act, it is not there for people who want to 'bend the rules', but is there for genuine disabled people, which is a serious issue, and should not be taken flippantly.  As for 'yappy dogs', I find that some humans make far more noise. 

Equally, it would be unfair to keep a pit bull in a flat.  One should look at this in a sensible way. 

As for my little dog, she has a litter tray, and when we go out I always carry tissues etc in case of any 'accidents'.  It certainly is not a strange question, and I agree with you about the danger to children of dog mess, which should always be cleaned up. 

You are right Christine.  I know that Yorkies were originally bred as ratters.  Lulu has yet to meet a rat, or a mouse, but she does chase the squirrels.  However they 'leg' it up a tree and she can't.  Ha! 

I ate a yorkie yesterday afternoon. T`was yummy. All that chunky chocolate mmmmmm

I'm just making the point that if dogs are permitted then why could I not put in a request (under certain circumstances which may well be connected to the disability acts you mention) to have any particular animal, be it a pot bellied pig or not.

I'd also add that a dog doesn't have to be one of the recognised types to be aggresive and have the potential to attack babies / children.

The thin end of the wedge of a long and slippery slope IMHO.

I'm sorry Nick, but I don't think you quite grasp exactly the way the Act works, by your comment.  As I said, it is there to protect people with genuine illnesses, that affect their daily lives.  For example, dogs 'assist' blind people, those with hearing difficulties, and certain physical difficulties, and physiological illnesses. Some can also detect when their owner is about to have a epileptic attack, and the list goes on.  Cats also have amazing qualities.  The pot bellied pig does not come into it. 

Yes, you are right in that some dogs have the potential to attack children, but, as we also know, so do humans. 

It is fair enough that you don't want dogs, and that is your right.  I agree that it would never be wise to allow someone to have any type of dog, particularly on an estate, so certain regulations would need to be put in place.  However, if the general opinion were to oppose dogs, then that would not affect those people who would need a dog/cat for their illness, as defined under the Equality Act.

Oh!  Steve.  Such wit!  Ha!ha!  Next you'll be saying you had a 'hot dog'!  X

Steve Daszko said:

I ate a yorkie yesterday afternoon. T`was yummy. All that chunky chocolate mmmmmm

I really don't have an issue with guide dogs, hearing dogs or any dog that can help a person with a particular disability. Far from it.

If there's a proven need due to either physical or mental disability, that's more than ok as far as I'm concerned.

What I don't support is for anyone to be able to have a dog willy nilly.

Bizarrely enough a well known Supermarket are selling frozen "Hot Dog Pizza`s".   I managed to resist myself!!!
Maria Elizabeth Prior said:

Oh!  Steve.  Such wit!  Ha!ha!  Next you'll be saying you had a 'hot dog'!  X

Steve Daszko said:

I agree with you Nick, over dogs, and indeed cats, that help people with a disability, be it physical or psychological, as defined under the Equality Act.  And, as I said in an earlier post I also do not agree with some one having a pet, including a dog 'willy nilly', and I used the same phrase.   A dog, and indeed a cat or any pet is a huge responsibility, as they need a lot of care, particularly a dog, who normally is not as independent as a cat.  Pets bring great comfort to those that need them.

One thing I want to say, which touched me greatly, is that after my court case 18 years ago, when I won the right to have my little dog, I found out that a care home, who had previously banned pets, on reading about my case, overturned their policy and allowed them for those that would benefit.  One thing I would not want and that is for anyone who has an illness to have to go through what I had to, to win that right. 

I, indeed hope that people will think about this carefully.  Of course, not all people like animals, and want to keep them, and that is their choice.  I admit to not liking all people, but we are on this earth to live together. 

It would be nice if you had put your last post in your reply to the Pets Survey. 

Nick Lee said:

I really don't have an issue with guide dogs, hearing dogs or any dog that can help a person with a particular disability. Far from it.

If there's a proven need due to either physical or mental disability, that's more than ok as far as I'm concerned.

What I don't support is for anyone to be able to have a dog willy nilly.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Paul Lincoln.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service