Latest Activity

Facebook

There are four Golden Lane Estate related facebook accounts and you can follow them here: goldenlaneEC1 

Golden Lane Estate / RCS site 

Save Bernard Morgan House

City of London

I see that posters are being put up by the City of London, showing a Great Dane, and asking residents below if they want cats and/or dogs on the Estate?  This is along with their survey, again showing the massive hound!  One look at him, and I guess many people will be 'freaked out', but I suppose that's what the COL are hoping.  After all, when has anyone ever seen a Great Dane living in a flat?  Could they not have used a picture of a small dog instead, which is more realistic to our surroundings, not that they needed a picture of any dog, as we all know what one looks like. 

Maybe, for maximum 'effect' at putting people off dogs, the COL should have used an Irish Setter, or going one even better than that, the 'Hound of the Baskervilles'!! 

Views: 1286

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm going to buy my Mum a pooch then, if her care home care will allow it???

Maria Elizabeth Prior said:

I agree with you Nick, over dogs, and indeed cats, that help people with a disability, be it physical or psychological, as defined under the Equality Act.  And, as I said in an earlier post I also do not agree with some one having a pet, including a dog 'willy nilly', and I used the same phrase.   A dog, and indeed a cat or any pet is a huge responsibility, as they need a lot of care, particularly a dog, who normally is not as independent as a cat.  Pets bring great comfort to those that need them.

One thing I want to say, which touched me greatly, is that after my court case 18 years ago, when I won the right to have my little dog, I found out that a care home, who had previously banned pets, on reading about my case, overturned their policy and allowed them for those that would benefit.  One thing I would not want and that is for anyone who has an illness to have to go through what I had to, to win that right. 

I, indeed hope that people will think about this carefully.  Of course, not all people like animals, and want to keep them, and that is their choice.  I admit to not liking all people, but we are on this earth to live together. 

It would be nice if you had put your last post in your reply to the Pets Survey. 

Nick Lee said:

I really don't have an issue with guide dogs, hearing dogs or any dog that can help a person with a particular disability. Far from it.

If there's a proven need due to either physical or mental disability, that's more than ok as far as I'm concerned.

What I don't support is for anyone to be able to have a dog willy nilly.

Am off to the 'land of nod' now Steve.  Lulu is already snoring.  Regarding your Mum, and I don't know the policy on pets in  her care home, but, if she were not able to care for a pooch full time, then I believe there is a service where dogs are trained to be 'visitors' to hospitals etc, to provide therapeutic benefits to patients in hospital, and residents in care homes.  I think the Dog's Trust will have more details.  If you want me to try and find out more then I am happy to help. 

Steve Daszko said:

I'm going to buy my Mum a pooch then, if her care home care will allow it???

I agree with you Nick, over dogs, and indeed cats, that help people with a disability, be it physical or psychological, as defined under the Equality Act.  And, as I said in an earlier post I also do not agree with some one having a pet, including a dog 'willy nilly', and I used the same phrase.   A dog, and indeed a cat or any pet is a huge responsibility, as they need a lot of care, particularly a dog, who normally is not as independent as a cat.  Pets bring great comfort to those that need them.

One thing I want to say, which touched me greatly, is that after my court case 18 years ago, when I won the right to have my little dog, I found out that a care home, who had previously banned pets, on reading about my case, overturned their policy and allowed them for those that would benefit.  One thing I would not want and that is for anyone who has an illness to have to go through what I had to, to win that right. 

I, indeed hope that people will think about this carefully.  Of course, not all people like animals, and want to keep them, and that is their choice.  I admit to not liking all people, but we are on this earth to live together. 

It would be nice if you had put your last post in your reply to the Pets Survey. 

Nick Lee said:

I really don't have an issue with guide dogs, hearing dogs or any dog that can help a person with a particular disability. Far from it.

If there's a proven need due to either physical or mental disability, that's more than ok as far as I'm concerned.

What I don't support is for anyone to be able to have a dog willy nilly.

Cheers Maria. Need to check the care homes policy first?  Will need to hear Mums views as well. In all honesty it's probably a non starter. She can't look after herself let alone a doggie!

Am sorry to hear about your Mum Steve.  Although she is not in  a position to look after a dog, or other pet, and they do need a lot of commitment, if she loves animals, and a particular type, then she, and other residents may benefit from visits by 'therapy' dogs now and then.  Its like other people's children, you can play with them, smother them with cuddles etc., but at the end of the day you give them back to their parents, or owners! 

Steve Daszko said:

Cheers Maria. Need to check the care homes policy first?  Will need to hear Mums views as well. In all honesty it's probably a non starter. She can't look after herself let alone a doggie!

The last day for returning the Pet Survey, including the general Estate one, is 21 February.  Having spoken to many people it is so nice to know that there is a lot of support for people to have pets, especially those who really would benefit from them.  We all realise that sensible regulations need to be made, particularly concerning the size of dog, and other considerations too.  Therefore, and my original question was, why was a Great Dane used as a cover photo, by the COL as a 'typical' dog on an estate?  I think we all know why. 

Honestly, Christine, I did see one of the porters with lots of Great Dane posters, which he told me he had to put up.  Got one in Crescent House,  on the noticeboard.  Its not a wind up.  That's why its so daft.

Christine Clifford said:

I have just noticed that 'our poster' shows a cat. I reckon someone just wanted to wind you up with that Great Dabe Maria ;-) xx

All the ones I have seen have a great Dane and a feral looking cat, straight from the penguin book of cheap psychology.

Christine, I saw that indeed you had a poster of a cat on your noticeboard. It looked like the one Nathan had described, also being with a 'scared out of its wits expression'!  All the others I have seen show a Great Dane.  Ours in Crescent House has suddenly gone, but I saw the same one on Great Arthur notice board.  Am sure that will go 'walkies' too! 

Honestly, Christine, I did see one of the porters with lots of Great Dane posters, which he told me he had to put up.  Got one in Crescent House,  on the noticeboard.  Its not a wind up.  That's why its so daft.

Christine Clifford said:

I have just noticed that 'our poster' shows a cat. I reckon someone just wanted to wind you up with that Great Dabe Maria ;-) xx

Nathan, I don't trust anyone who does not like animals.  In fact, I prefer animals to some people!  Most people I know are lovely, and caring, and I cherish them, and they love animals too. Then there are the humans who, by their actions, try to make your life difficult.  I have no respect for such people.  I think they should remember that animals have given their lives for people in the past.  Just visit the Animal Memorial by Hyde Park, dedicated to the animals who sacrificed their lives for us humans in War.  Its very humbling. 

nathan said:

Just a different perspective, for people who see no value in animals or even hate animals.

from the Royal Dutch Guide Dog Foundation

Just a different perspective, for people who see no value in animals or even hate animals.

Click on the link below to see.

Spot on Nathan.  And, for people with genuine needs for a pet, as defined under the Disability Discrimination Act, as replaced by the Equality Act 2010, their rights will prevail.

nathan said:

Click on the link below to see.

Hello All

I have heard on 'the grapevine' that the majority who returned their Pets Policy survey opposed dogs being allowed on our Estate.  This I did not find surprising at all, especially considering the poor way in which the COL compiled the questions in the first place. 

However, I have seen on the notice boards, that we will be 'consulted' over any changes to the Pets Policy.  May I ask exactly who will be 'consulted'?  Will it be all the residents again, in another survey, or just the Committee, for example?  The most sensible first approach would be for the COL to consult the Dogs Trust, for example,  who have experts at hand to answer any questions, and solicitors who deal with the Law, regarding disabled people, as defined under the Equality Act 2010. 

As we have COL management as members on this site, who have access to all the posts, I trust we will hear what their intentions are. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Paul Lincoln.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service