Apr 20
Paul Lincoln posted an event

Imagine Golden Lane and Community Cafe next Saturday at Under Crescent House

April 27, 2024 from 2pm to 4pm
Apr 20
Sheila replied to Jax's discussion Looking for a 1 maybe 2 bed on GLE
Apr 19

Facebook

There are four Golden Lane Estate related facebook accounts and you can follow them here: goldenlaneEC1 

Golden Lane Estate / RCS site 

Save Bernard Morgan House

City of London

For the first time, I think, residents had to 'enter' this year's annual garden competition, if they wanted their display judged, as opposed to previous years, when only those with private balconies needed to, so the judges would be able to gain access.  I was told that there were a lot of entries!

However, I was shocked to hear that there would be only ONE prize this year awarded in the competition, unlike all previous years, when there has been at least 3!  I think this is extremely mean spirited! 

When you consider that there were posters all over the Estate, encouraging people to enter, with no indication that there would only be one prize, this is not right. 

Many people have lovely displays over the Estate, and all are paid for by the residents themselves.  We all know that this can be quite expensive.  The City of London claim that the Garden Competition is a chance to be 'rewarded' for all the hard work.  I beg to differ.  I think it's a way to encourage residents to provide 'colour' for the area.  Luckily, many people I know do gardening purely because they love it so much. 

I wonder if all the other City of London estates were also only awarded one prize per estate, instead of the normal 3? 

Views: 87

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Next Saturday 3rd September is Capital Growth Edible Open Gardens Day.

Over 40 community food-growing spaces are taking part. visit www.capitalgrowth.org for details.

The allotments on Golden Lane will be open 2 till 4.oo. Everyone is welcome.

Thanks for this link Bev!  It sounds really interesting.  I hope to be able to come to the Golden Lane allotments on Saturday.  Have added my name to the waiting list, as would love a growing space, especially for my partner, John, who has suffered a stroke this year, and a major heart attack last year, and the 'therapy' of growing one's own veg etc, would be so good for his recovery.  We all know how much of a 'tonic' gardening is.

Regarding the Golden Lane Garden competition, my original post, I still do not know if all the other Estates have had their prizes cut, in the same way our Estate has!  If you know of anyone who may know, would like to hear! 

I recall that even a special prize was awarded to a specific area on the Estate, where it was felt contributed to the overall appearance.  I remember the top floor of Hatfield House had this one!  There were also 'highly commended' certificates awarded, and I recall First Prize money being about £100. And then, 2nd and 3rd Prize money!  This year there is only £60 for one prize!  So I have been informed!

Get rid of the competition. It is an excuse for the inadequates on this estate to start victimising in the hope that it will liven up their drab lives.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Paul Lincoln.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service